Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Exclusive Interview with Makeup Artist Yodit Tecle of Almaz Faces


Read the full exclusive interview with published makeup artist Yodit Tecle of Almaz Faces and check out her simple guide to a fresh face before your Big Day! She shares her favorite makeup looks right now and her joy of dolling up her clients! Also, be sure to check out this fabulous makeup tutorial below by Yodit Tecle created just for you! Watch her create magic as she transforms this beauty into glam!




Her Big Day: Where are you from and where is your business located?

Yodit Tecle: I am from a beautiful country called Eritrea, that’s located in the horn of Africa. My business, Almaz Faces, is however located in my current residence of Columbus, Ohio.

HBD: How long have you been a makeup artist for and what got you interested in this field?

YT: I have been a professional makeup artist for about 5 years collectively (in the countries of India, The Philippines, Saudi Arabia and Eritrea) but used to dabble and play around as a teenager on my little sister and my friends. Funny enough, I was a very tomboy-ish young lady growing up and it was my mom who would push me to be  more on the feminine side as she got tired of my very boyish charms, haha. I always loved art as well and felt like makeup was just a form of art that I was just always drawn to and had a knack for. I’m a self taught makeup artist and haven’t taken any classes to gain my knowledge except through research, practice, and trial and error of my own experiences, which is always fun!

HBD: What type of work do you do as a makeup artist?

YT: I like to say I’m very versatile in my work and do it all. I do natural day-to-day makeup, dramatic, bridal, theatre/halloween, fitness, TV, fashion and recently started on some special effects makeup, which I absolutely love!

HBD: Where does your inspiration come from?

YT: Like I mentioned before, I love art and I love drawing my inspiration from bizarre places like Van Gogh pieces, more recent modern abstract art, or even from my hubby (who’s an artist as well) who pushes me and gives me all types of ideas to try out. I also look online to all the hundreds of incredibly talented makeup artists that are available out there around the world.

HBD: We love your before and after posts on IG. The transformations are incredible! That must be a great feeling to give your clients the perfect look they want.

YT: Thank you so much! I love doing it for everyday women who have that beauty deep inside and just need to let it out and flourish. I love seeing what a little bit of a makeover does to their spirits! I get emails and personal messages telling me how a simple makeover makes them feel so beautiful, giving them the ability to take over their days with major confidence! Though my theatrical and halloween transformations may be considered some of the most drastic and artistic, the ones that I cherish the most are the ones where I can boost a woman’s confidence. I love that I can make any woman feel that type of love for herself.

HBD: What has Almaz Faces been up to lately? Any fun projects or events?

YT: Almaz Faces has been up to quite a lot as of late and I couldn’t thank anyone but the good Lord above for all that success! I’ve worked a few events such as the Annual High Ball Event, showcased my makeup artistry 3 times on one of the biggest art shows in the nation called Raw Natural Born Artist, and have also been nominated for the Makeup Artist of the Year Award as well. I’ve been working a tremendous amount of fashion shows locally and in other cities as well, doing photo shoot campaigns for clothing, jewelry, hair salon studios and websites.  I’ve been on the radio discussing all things makeup and have been published in 2 magazines thus far, which I’m very proud of! There have been plans to possibly have a Look Book Party in the summer time with a few runway shows, but we’re still discussing the specifics of it. It's all very exciting!

HBD: What's your favorite wedding day makeup look right now?

YT: I’m in love with a dewy and natural skin-like look for a bride! As for the eyes, I love brides that are risk takers; the ones who like to play in the smokeys and glitters because it gives such a pop to the entire look!

HBD: Do you have any favorite makeup lines that you would recommend for the future bride?

YT: I like to shop smart when it comes to my makeup and actually try a range of companies that are pocket-friendly but equally as amazing as the expensive stuff. Some of those pocket-friendly brands include L’Oreal, Revlon, Cover girl, Almay and Elf Cosmetics. For the more pricier cosmetic lines, some of my favorite brands include MAC, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, Nars, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Smash Box, Makeup Forever and Giorgio Armani!

HBD: Wedding Lips- Red or Nude?

YT: Both! There are some brides that look immaculate in a nice nude with more sultry eyes and those who look gorgeous with a bright red lip and more natural eyes with golds or silvers. it all depends on the bride’s preference and overall look that she’s going for.

HBD: For your brides, do you require them to do any particular skin preps, such as exfoliation, before the day of the wedding? Are there any great tips you can recommend to the future bride reading this who may be interested in knowing how to care for her face before she gets all dolled up for her big day?

YT: Yes! By preparing for the wedding in advance, the brides will have ample time to address skin imperfections such as acne marks and scars. For a clear and glowing wedding day complexion, begin monthly facials or at least 6 weeks prior to the big day to visibly see a difference. And as simple as this next step may be, it’s very vital that you drink lots of water! This will flush out all the toxins and help eliminate dark under-eye circles as well as help with annoying nuisances such as pimples. Cleanse, tone, and moisturize twice daily and also try a weekly exfoliate. These simple tricks will have the skin looking its absolute best for the bride’s big day!

HBD: For the future bride who is interested in your work, do you provide services outside of your city and state?

YT: Yes, I sure do! I travel and go all over the country working on glamming up my beautiful brides. Brides interested in my services should contact me directly via email or on one of my social media sites, and we will work out all the details.

HBD: And last, but not least, what is your favorite thing about weddings in general?

YT: Besides the glitz and glamour that comes with the wedding day, I love the joy and love that it’s all about. The joining of two souls as well as two families tied forever together in love and harmony! What’s not to love?!


Thank you, Yodit, for sharing your work with us! We look forward to seeing more of your work here. Keep inspiring us with your art!


Check out more glam looks from this beauty...


Connect with Yodit on Instagram and Facebook!

No comments :

Post a Comment